“As one person I cannot change the world, but I can change the world of one person.” ~Paul Shane Spear
Open Sesame, the world’s first hands-free app, gives individuals with disabilities the ability to participate in spoken communication using only head movement. Designed by people with disabilities for people with disabilities, ‘Open Sesame! Touch Free Access” has the ability to create “magic” for our users in various ways . Here are 10 of them:
- Independence: The head-motion activated mobile device brings the smartphone to a population that has until now been excluded, allowing them to use it on their own. “I was completely dependent on people around me to communicate,” shares one of our users.
- Productivity: Utilizing technology to perform daily tasks such as reading an eBook, writing emails, or studying, lets our users do much more in less time. Staying up-to-date on the internet opens additional employment opportunities, helping people with disabilities get back into the work cycle.
- Privacy: Given that many of our users are confined to their bed or wheelchairs, the ability to regain control over their lives, by making independent and private phone calls, makes a world of difference. Where previously someone had to be present, assisting with dialing or hanging up, our users are now free to have private calls on their own.
- Inclusion: Using accessible technology just like any other, ,means living beyond one’s disability, letting his/her capability define them, while encouraging an attentive society.
- Connectivity: When we set out to create Sesame, we wanted to make the digital world accessible. In time, we realized that touch-free control is compatible with other technologies. For example, with the introduction of IOT (Internet Of Things) – our touch-free control has become an option for controlling one’s house environment. Some users have even installed full smart home systems, allowing them to control their physical surroundings, and thereby greatly expanding their independence.